|Ben Gray, Visual Manager at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, was our keynote speaker. [Fuji X-E2, 18-55mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/6.4, 1/110]|
I was talking to my friend Ken Touchton and he said he wasn't surprised because we had basically created a mini conference.
|Berrie Smith, camera repairman, who works with Nikon and Canon on a regular basis was there cleaning people's camera sensors and doing some minor repairs. [Fuji X-E2, 18-55mm, ISO 2500, ƒ/8, 1/125 with fill-flash set at -1 EV]|
|Dorie Griggs, led our devotional time [Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ƒ/9, ISO 12800, 1/100]|
1 Peter 4:10The Bible verse she used to remind us that we are to use our gifts to reconnect with one another was 1 Peter 4:10.
New International Version (NIV)
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
|Craig Carden and John Bazee discover that they have a great deal in common. Both have worked for radio stations, love music and photography. [Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ƒ/9, ISO 12800, 1/50]|
Also, spouses enjoyed meeting their spouses colleagues and getting another perspective on someone else who is also doing photography.
|Peggy Frazeur and Carrie Carden spend some time getting to know each other for the first time at this meeting. [Nikon D4, 85mm, ƒ/3.5, ISO 8000, 1/200]|
I think coming together and talking to others doing photography makes a huge difference in our emotional condition. Of course people were bringing their latest cameras to show to each other. We are all have to be a gear-head to be a successful photographer and finding something that is helping us do a better job is so exciting we enjoy sharing with someone. The big hit with most folks was pulling out their mirrorless cameras and showing all that these cameras will do that fit in a pocket.
|[Fuji X-E2, 55-200mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/4.5, 1/50]|
We asked him to walk through a typical assignment and how he gathers all this for all those outlets.
Ben's Breaking News Workflow:
- Get photos first: He arrived at airplane crash and knew from experience that he would be moved back by the police as they established the boundaries. "I can get quotes later, but I cannot get the photos later." He has an Eye-fi card in the camera. He just tags a photo and the camera is setup to automatically send the photo using his hotspot to send those to the newspaper/radio/TV station where they can pull those while he continues to work.
- Shoot Video on iPhone: He shoots 10 second clips that they post to the websites and WSB-TV can use as well. If they arrive with a crew he doesn't have to send the video.
- Reporting Role: He is gathering audio with his iPhone and then he sends these interviews by email to the assignment desk where they have a writer turn this into copy for the web.
- Touches base with assignment desk: They may call and ask for more.
- Formal editing: He will do minor editing of image and captioning to add to the galleries online. He will also check the photos that were pulled from his photos that were automatically transmitted. He has pulled photos off the web that accidentally showed a dead person in a photo for example
|[Fuji X-E2, 18-55mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/8, 1/25]|
Our First Project
I wanted to introduce the idea of shooting a project where we could each find a person and tell their story. To introduce the idea I showed Chick-fil-A's Every Life Has a Story.
We are all going to find a subject and put together a package which we will share at our next meeting. We are hoping to then find a space to hold an event where we can invite the subjects and the community to see the stories and maybe for us to leave an exhibit up of some prints from those stories.
|Enjoying our Chick-fil-A sandwiches and getting to know one another. [Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ƒ/9, ISO 12800, 1/200]|
|Dorie Griggs and Laura Espeut wanted a photo together. That is what friends do when they get together--smile. [Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ƒ/9, ISO 12800, 1/80]|
Remember this is what God intended as we see in 1 Peter 4:10 "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."
Once you understand God's grace you cannot help but want to pay it forward through service to others.
So, when are you getting together with some photographers?